Sunday, October 21, 2012

Fall Squash. What to do...

After I made my last batch of butternut squash soup, I got another butternut squash and an acorn squash in my next produce delivery.  Well, I had plenty of the Curried Butternut Squash Soup, so I didn't want to make that again.  I looked up some recipes for acorn squash soup as well as some soups that used both, but all seemed too sweet or had cinnamon or something in them.  I was looking for something a little more savory this time.  Since I didn't find anything I really liked, I decided to wing it and come up with something of my own.  The soup turned out better than I had expected and I immediately wrote down the recipe before I forgot what I did.  It's a savory soup with a slight hint of sweetness.  The only seasoning is salt and pepper.  Nothing else was really needed.  The squashes provide plenty of flavor of their own.  It's the perfect fall soup for a Sunday afternoon.  I plan on having it for dinner tonight with a delicious BLT.





Roasted Acorn and Butternut Squash Soup
1 acorn squash
1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
3 tbsp butter
1 large sweet onion, diced
2 medium leeks
4 cups vegetable broth
1 ½ tsp salt
2 tbsp brown sugar
Ground pepper to taste
½ cup half and half (I used fat free)
Cut acorn squash in half and roast at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.  Remove and discard seeds.  Spoon flesh into a bowl and set aside.  While acorn squash is roasting, melt butter in large pot.  Add diced onions and leeks.  Saute about 5 minutes on medium heat.  Add cubed butternut squash, salt, pepper, brown sugar, and vegetable broth.  Simmer on medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Once butternut squash is soft, add acorn squash to pot and stir together.  Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth.  Stir in half and half.  Serve with crusty bread or half of your favorite sandwich. 

No comments:

Post a Comment