Sunday, October 7, 2012

Bacon and Egg Cupcakes

I am not a huge breakfast fan, but my husband is.  For that reason, I'm always looking for new things to try out.  I rarely actually try them, in fact if we do ever make breakfast it's bacon, egg and cheese on an english muffin.  And sometimes if we have people over, we make pancakes or waffles.  Well, since Pinterest is my new best friend, I've been even more inclined to try new things.  I kept seeing little quiches in muffin pans or an egg surrounded by Canadian bacon.  Since I didn't have all the stuff to try those things, I decided to use the concept and experiment on my own.  I had a package of reduced fat crescent rolls and a TON of eggs thanks to my bi-weekly produce (and egg) delivery.  Fortunately, I also had bacon the freezer. These really were the only ingredients I needed to make these delicious egg cupcakes.  They would be perfect for company...a great way to make a bunch of eggs at once.   You could also experiment with other types of meat or cheese or even veggies.  



Bacon and Egg Cupcakes

1 tube crescent rolls (I used reduced fat, but it's not necessary)

8 slices bacon (I used thick cut)

8 eggs

Cooking spray

Spray a muffin/cupcake pan with cooking spray.  Remove crescent rolls from tube and unroll.   Do not split along perforation.  Using a pizza cutter, slice them into 8 squares.  You could use a knife, but the pizza cutter will save you time and keep the dough from bunching up.  Put a square in 8 of the muffin cups, making sure the bottom is covered and up the sides as much as possible.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  In the meantime, cook the bacon until about half way done (It's important that it's not fully cooked or it will burn in the baking process).  Put one piece of bacon in each muffin cup, making it into a ring.  The crescent roll and bacon will be sort of a cupcake liner for the egg.  Next drop one egg in each muffin cup.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes.  I put them in for about 18 minutes, but I think 16 would have been enough.  It depends on how you like your eggs cooked.  Remove cupcakes from pan and serve with fruit as a side.  The perfect, easy brunch!

Makes 8 servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment